Saturday, February 6, 2010

Do I have to Sell my Home to Qualifty for the Homebuyer Tax Credit

Here's a question that keeps popping up:

I'm already a homeowner.  If I buy another home ofter Nov. 6, 2009 to use as my principal residence, do I have to sell my home to qualify for the home buyer tax credit?

Answer:

No.  If you meet all of the requirements for the credit, the law does not require you to sell or otherwise dispose of your current principal residence to qualify for a credit up to $6,500 when you buy a replacement home to use as your principal residence.  The requirements are that you must buy, or enter into a binding contract to buy, the replacement principal residence after Nov. 6, 2009 and on or before April 30, 2010 and close on the home by June 30, 2010.  Additionally, you must have lived in the same principal residence for any five-consecutive-year period during the eight-year period that ended on the date the replacement home is purchased.  For example, if you bought a home on November 30, 2009, the eight-year period would run from December 1, 2001 through November 30, 2009.



Information courtesy of Jay Starks, Bell America Mortgage, www.jaystarks.com

1 comment:

  1. Nice post.it will be very interesting and informative to us.we have a news about real estate information.

    AZ real estate

    ReplyDelete